The applications for the Artists in Residence (AIR) Programme are now accepted. Artist who are living in any countries except Austria are welcome to apply. This artist residential program is aimed to offer an opportunity to familiarise oneself with the Austrian art scene and cultural environment and to make contact with Austrian artists. This year, there are 50 awards available. Each of those covers a range of benefits including a monthly living cost of € 800. To apply, the application packet must be submitted no later than September 2016.
In co-operation with KulturKontakt Austria, the Austrian Federal Chancellery makes available 50 residencies in Austria (Vienna and Salzburg) for the year 2017. The residency is designed to offer an opportunity to familiarise oneself with the Austrian art scene and cultural environment and to make contact with Austrian artists. Residents are expected to complete a project during their stay. During their stay, the artists in residence will be made familiar with the art scene and cultural environment. Activities on offer include visits at galleries, studios and museums, contacts to the literature and publishing sector, as well as access to Vienna’s or Salzburg’s music life. Whenever possible, the residents will receive free tickets for art and book fairs, performances at the Tanzquartier Wien , the international ImPuls Tanz dance festival and other events. During their stay in Salzburg, the artists in residence will be taken care of by Kunstverein Salzburg. There is the possibility of participating actively in the Artists-in-Residence-go-to-School-Program of KulturKontakt Austria (the program includes workshops at Austrian schools).
Each of the winning candidates may expect to receive the benefits as follow:
- Residencies are provided in Vienna or Salzburg.
- Accommodation subject to availability, either in an apartment at the Schloss Laudon Parkdependance (14 th district), a room in a flat in Vienna’s 3rd or 9 th district or an apartment at Salzburger Kunstverein in the City of Salzburg.
- The assignment of accommodation in Vienna is made by the residency provider. Unfortunately, individual preferences cannot be taken into account.
- Use of a community studio in Vienna’s 2 nd district, at Schloss Laudon or at the Salzburger Kunstverein.
- Contribution to cost of living expenses of € 800 per month; in case of absence exceeding 7 days, a pro-rata share of cost-of-living expenses will be paid.
- One-time contribution to art supplies of € 300 for visual artists and composers.
- The cost of translation for one sample text (no more than 10 pages at 1800 characters each) from a foreign language into German for writers.
- Accident and health insurance; insurance cover excludes chronic disease and dental work.
For the duration of the stay and depending on the place of accommodation, residents are provided with a mobile internet connect stick including SIM-card or WLAN for the duration of their residency. Notebooks will not be provided.
- For the duration of the stay, a cell-phone with a one-time prepaid credit in the amount of € 40 will be made available to the residents.
- Residents will also receive monthly passes for public transport in Vienna or Salzburg for the duration of their stay.
Regular cleaning service for the living quarters and change of bed-linen and towels will be provided weekly or monthly, according to the place.
- In principle, a presentation of works may be arranged towards the end of the residency.
- No financial support can be provided for the production of catalogues, translations, book releases and performances.
- Residents may not bring other people (family members, friends, acquaintances, etc.) or pets to the residency. Only residents may spend the night at the accommodation.
- Compliance with the house rules of the residency is of the utmost importance.
- Travel expenses will not be paid nor refunded.
Level and Area of Studies
Non-degree program in art-related subjects.
Place of Study
The program will be taken in Austria.
Eligibility and Criteria
This KulturKontakt Artists in Residence Programme is available for artists whose permanent place of residence is outside of Austria and who have completed their training. Austrian citizens cannot apply for this programme. A basic working knowledge of German or English is required. The age limit for applicants is 40 years, i.e. the applicants’ date of birth has to be after the 31 December 1976. Artists who have already participated in artist-in-residence-programmes organised by KulturKontakt Austria, the Austrian Federal Chancellery or the Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, the Arts and Culture are not eligible for participation.
Non-Austrian citizens are welcome to apply.
The application form can be obtained from the website and application link below.
Please anticipate the deadline in September 2016.