Entries for the Tana Forum Essay Competition are currently being accepted. Those who are currently enrolled master or PhD program are welcome to apply. All applicants must be African citizens. Entries must be received no later than Tuesday 31 January 2017.
Eligibility and Criteria
All candidates are required to satisfy the given criteria as follow:
- Applicants must be an African residing in an African country;
- Applicants must be Master’s or PhD students from the Social Science/Humanities/Political Science/ International Relations field in one of the under-listed universities.
- Entries must be typed, double-spaced, in 12-point Times New Roman or an equivalent font with a one-inch margin on all sides of the page;
- Essays must be between 5-10 pages in length;
- Submissions must be the original work of applicants with a comprehensive list of sources consulted. Essays on other topics will not be accepted. Please use the topic as the title of your essay;
- Submissions should be either in English or French;
- A bibliography must be included. At least three of the sources you cite must be primary sources, i.e. books, periodicals or newspapers that you have researched. (A primary source is a document, speech, or other sorts of evidence written, created or otherwise produced during the time under study. Primary sources offer an inside view of a particular event. They may be accessed online.) Other sources may be online, provided they are cited correctly as such. Any submissions lacking three primary sources will be disqualified.
- Any essay using crowd-sourced and publicly editable sources such as Wikipedia will be disqualified! Please make sure to also separate your primary source list from your Internet source list.
- Essays must be submitted in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) format and any essay. submitted in any other format will not be considered.
- Your essay will be disqualified if it does not meet the requirements or is submitted after the submission date of 11:59 pm EST on Tuesday 31 January 2017.
- Applicants must be willing and fit to travel.
- Email your essay with your name, age, university, academic degree (MA, PhD.), country of origin, and contact information (email address, telephone number) to Lettie Long (l.longwe-at-ipss-addis.org) and copy Beza Degefa (beza.d-at-ipss-addis.org).