The University of Amsterdam is pleased to invite applications for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) for those who will be studying at Graduate School of Social Sciences. The award is available for non – EU/EEA students. Winner will receive benefit of full-tuition fees and monthly allowance. To apply, all required materials must be received no later than 13 January each year.
The Amsterdam Merit Scholarships (AMS) have specifically been designed by the Universiteit van Amsterdam to offer talented and hard-working non-EU/EEA students the opportunity to pursue a degree in one of the academic fields covered by the UvA. The AMS programme is highly selective: only applicants with excellent study results and motivation may receive a scholarship.
The scholarship consists of an amount equal to the tuition fee. Please note that the scholarship cannot be used as a (partial) tuition waiver. The applicant must still pay the full amount of tuition due. Scholarship holders will receive their grant in monthly instalments.
Level and Area of Studies
Master degree in any field available at Graduate School of Social Sciences.
Place of Study
At Graduate School of Social Sciences, Netherlands
Eligibility and Criteria
- Hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (“Studiefinanciering”; for more information please refer to: www.DUO.nl) and/or the low tuition fee. The scholarship office should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible “Studiefinanciering” support, throughout the academic year.
- Be fully admitted to a degree programme at the Graduate School of Social Sciences. Scholarship continuation is not guaranteed when a candidate changes his or her degree programme.
- Be admitted to a Master’s programme at the Graduate School of Social Sciences for the first time. AMS will not be awarded to candidates who are admitted for a second Bachelor’s or Master’s programme at the University of Amsterdam. AMS will also not be awarded to candidates having to complete a preparatory programme first.
- Be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations
- Be enrolled at the UvA as full-time student for the academic year and the programme for which the scholarship is awarded.
- The candidate should not receive a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AMS scholarship. Notify the scholarships office when another full scholarship has been awarded and accepted.
- Scholarship continuation for subsequent year(s) of study depends upon satisfactory study progress. The programme you will be enrolled in, as it depends on the curriculum and rules and regulations of the department, sets the standard for satisfactory progress, and the time and manner in which progress will be measured. Please be advised that you are expected to gain approximately 80% of credits in any one year.
- The programme you wish to apply for might set extra requirements such as academic and language requirements.
In addition, candidates will be selected based on the criteria as follow:
- Their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field, as evidenced by their academic records, letters of recommendation, written work and/or publications and their proposed research questions;
- The quality of their letter of motivation.
Candidates should be the citizens of Non-EU/EEA countries.
You can submit your application by completing the following steps:
- Submit your application for the Master programme of your choice. Note that your application needs to be complete, so with all required documents including valid language test scores.
- Receive your UvA student number and master application file number
- Fill out and submit the application form for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (you will need both your UvA student number and master application file number.)
Applications for an AMS scholarship should be submitted no later than 13 January, 15:00 CET.
If you have any questions regarding the AMS please send an email to email@example.com .