The Agency for Science, Technology and Research is currently accepting applications for the A*STAR Undergraduate Scholarship (AUS) The scholarship is available for to Singaporeans and other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship for pursuing degree programme in Science or Engineering. This AUS award covers all of the related expenses for entire duration of the program. The application deadline is 31st March 2019.
AUS supports bright individuals with a keen interest in research for a Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering at the National University of Singapore including the Yale-NUS College, the Nanyang Technological University, the Singapore University of Technology and Design and the Singapore Management University (School of Information Systems). Upon graduation, scholars have the flexibility to pursue their PhD studies locally or abroad on A*STAR or other university scholarships. Scholars can look forward to research attachments at A*STAR’s Research Institutes with state-of-the-art facilities and be part of A*STAR’s community of diverse and renowned scientists and researchers.
The A*STAR Undergraduate Scholarship covers the followings:
- Tuition fees
- Hostel Fees
- Local sustenance allowance
- Research attachment opportunities at A*STAR Research Institutes (minimum of 8 weeks)
- One overseas exchange programme during the undergraduate studies (up to 6 months)
- Mid-term AUS awardees will be offered the same terms of support as the direct AUS scholars from the point of the award, without retrospective payment.
- Continuation of the AUS is subject to scholars maintaining good academic standing.
- All rates/allowances are subject to A*STAR adjustments from time to time
Level and Area of Studies
Undergraduate degree in Science and Engineering.
Place of Study
The study will be taken in Singapore.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Open to Singaporeans and other nationals intending to take up Singapore citizenship.
- Males are required to serve National Service prior to commencement of undergraduate studies.
- Excellent results for GCE ‘A’ Level (minimum 11 academic units), International Baccalaureate (IB), NUS High School diploma, Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent
- Candidates are encouraged to sit for the SAT tests to broaden their choices of institutions where they can pursue their undergraduate education. Although A*STAR does not mandate a minimum SAT score as a qualifying condition for the undergraduate scholarships awarded for studies, applicants are encouraged to submit their SAT scores, if available, to be included in the overall assessment of their applications.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience and notable achievements in science- or math-related projects and activities
(i) Applicants with ‘A’ Levels/ IB/ NUSHS Diploma/Polytechnic Diploma:
- For candidates on GCE ‘A’ Level syllabus
- Candidates must offer 11 units or more
- Attained As in three H2 Science or Mathematics subjects
- Demonstrated achievement beyond the above, such as in research or a relevant H3 subject should be highlighted.
- Those without relevant H3 subjects must have as in four H2 Science and Mathematics subjects.
- For candidates on International Baccalaureate (IB) syllabus
- Obtained at least 39 points including 6,7,7 in higher level for Science and Mathematics subjects(exception will be made if candidate took Further Mathematics)
- Attained at least 1 bonus point for Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge
- For candidates from NUS High School of Mathematics and Science
- Attained subject CAP of 3.60 and above, majoring in at least 3 of the following subjects: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (one of which must be with Honours), Excellentin Advanced Research Project, For candidates from Polytechnic, Excellent academic results, at least a diploma with merit and Demonstrated interest and passion for science-related projects/activities.
(ii) Applicants in undergraduate Year 2-4 (Mid-Term AUS)
- Singaporeans only
- Completed and achieved at least 2 semesters of graded results upon award of the scholarship
- Obtained a minimum term CAP/GPA and cum CAP/GPA of 4.5 in the latest academic term/year
- The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive.
- A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies. These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
Both domestic and overseas students are welcome to apply.
Application should be made through the online system at the website and application link below.
31st March 2019.