The Avonte Oquendo Memorial Scholarship is exclusively open students who are or a close family member has been diagnosed with a form of autism, including Asperger syndrome. This annual scholarship provide $5, 000 for the winners. All participants must write an essay on the given topic. The next deadline is 31 July.
All of us at The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. were touched by the story of 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo, an autistic boy who went missing after he wandered away from school in 2013. The outpouring of support and assistance that accompanied the search for Avonte was unprecedented. Although Avonte tragically did not make it home alive, we want to show the same support for the autistic community in memory of this extraordinary young man. That is why The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. is offering a $5,000 scholarship for a student living with autism, or whose loved one is living with autism.
The scholarship award is $5, 000.
Level and Area of Studies
Undergraduate and graduate degree in any field.
Place of study
Any institution in the United States.
Eligibility and Requirement
The Avonte Oquendo Memorial Scholarship is open to high-achieving students who meet two key criteria:
- Either you or a close family member has been diagnosed with a form of autism, including Asperger syndrome, and
- Applicant must be an enrolled student at an accredited college, university, or vocational school, or be accepted to begin school at an accredited college, university, or vocational school in the semester for which the application is being offered.
- Additionally, applicants should submit an essay on one of the topics listed below with a minimum of 500 words and maximum of 1,000 words.
- Tell us about a time that you have had to overcome an obstacle as a person with autism that other people would not have had to face.
- Explain how your loved one’s autism has affected you and how you have adapted to help them.
- Answer this question: What do you feel is the biggest obstacle holding back people with autism today?
31 July every year.