The Croucher Fellowship Program is now open. Eligible candidates should be the citizens of Hong Kong who will be undertaking post-doctoral research in foreign countries. The research theme must be focused on natural sciences, technology and medicine. To apply, the application packet must be received no later than 16 November 2020.
The Croucher Foundation is a private endowment set up in 1979 and permanently domiciled in Hong Kong, with the objective of promoting excellence in natural sciences, technology and medicine in Hong Kong. One of the Foundation’s regular funding initiatives is to provide financial support for promising young people in Hong Kong to pursue scientific research at postdoctoral and doctoral levels. The awards offered by the Croucher Foundation Limited (“the Foundation”) are intended to enable applicants who are permanent residents of Hong Kong to devote themselves to a period of full-time research in natural sciences, medicine or technology in approved academic institutions outside Hong Kong.
Each of the fellowship winners will receive benefit as follow:
- an annual maintenance allowance which is set at USD48,240 per annum;
- one economy class single air fare at both the beginning and end of the period of the award;
- a one-off arrival allowance of USD1,000 to cover the costs of arriving in a new country during the first year of tenure;
- a research allowance of up to USD15,000 per annum to be used at the discretion of the award recipient for research expenses;
- an academic development allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to allow Croucher Fellowship recipients to attend conferences, workshops or courses during the tenure of their awards;
- a medical insurance allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to cover medical insurance costs; and
- a family allowance of up to USD16,000 per annum for a first child and up to USD6,800 per annum for a second child who resides with the scholar during the entire duration of the award.
Level and Area of Studies
Post-doctoral research in natural sciences, technology and medicine.
Place of Study
The research should be taken outside Hong Kong.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Fellows must be full-time research workers.
- All applicants must disclose offers of financial support received, or likely to be received, from other sources. Applicants and Fellowship holders must keep the Foundation informed of the progress of applications for support from other sources. Croucher Fellowships are on occasion, and at the discretion of the Foundation as an exception, allowed to be held concurrently with other minor awards.
- The Foundation occasionally gives approval for Fellows to be remunerated for a limited amount of teaching or research responsibilities but such Fellows must seek approval in advance from the Foundation which may in its absolute discretion modify the terms of the Fellowship.
- Fellows who finish their research prior to the expiry date of the awards must report to the Foundation, and are liable to return on a pro-rata basis any excess maintenance allowance and other allowances to the Foundation within one month upon the completion of research.
- Fellows who have to terminate their research for whatever reason must first seek approval from the Foundation at least three months in advance, and return the whole or part of the award at an amount at the discretion of the Foundation. Failure to do so will have legal consequences.
- All awards will be subject to: a satisfactory medical examination by a medical practitioner, and the candidate’s acceptance by the institution in which he/she proposes to work.
Only Hong Kong scholars are invited to apply.
Please learn the detail instruction of application procedure at the website and application link below.
16th November 2020.