Every year, the Islamic Development Bank invites any eligible international students from IDB member country to apply a PhD scholarship at Birmingham University in UK. The eligible candidates must be under 35 years old. The deadline is 31 December every year.
The Islamic Development Bank (IDB) is a multilateral financial development institution based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. IDB was established with the purpose of fostering economic development and social progress in its member countries, in accordance with the principles of Shariah i.e. Islamic law. The IDB is composed of 56 member countries across Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin America. The IDB launched its Merit Scholarship Programme (MSP) to contribute to the development of human resources and institutions in its member countries, in science and hi-technology fields, where such expertise is lacking but considered crucial for their sustainable development. The scholars are expected to contribute to the development priorities of their respective IDB member countries, pursuing research in areas such Health, Agriculture, Water Resource Management, Alternative Energies, Infrastructure Development, Nanotechnology and Engineering ICT.
Scholarship Value: No detail information
Level and Area of Studies
Research program in Health, Agriculture, Water Resource Management, Alternative Energies, Infrastructure Development, Nanotechnology and Engineering ICT.
Place of Study
Birmingham University in UK
Eligibility and Criteria
To be considered in this IDB PhD Scholarship, you must:
- be a citizen of an IDB member country, and a permanent employee of an academic institution or a research centre of his/her country
- secure admission at the University of Birmingham, using the UoB standard entry procedures
- be 35 years of age or younger
In addition applicants must meet the following academic requirements:
- be nominated and sponsored by their institutions and considered suitable and appropriate by the Offices of the IDB Governors of their countries in terms of the developmental and scientific needs of their countries.
- have an academic background in an area of research related to science/technology, as listed on the ISD scholarship programme web-site
- have a proposed research area that is directly relevant to the development priorities of his/her country, demonstrated by a research proposal endorsed by the University of Birmingham
- have above average (“Very Good”) in academic standing
- have work and/or research experience of not less than two years, with a strong history of developing publications and research in a relevant research area
Students from IDB member country are eligible to apply.
Prospective applicants should visit the IDB website to download an application form and read the full information in relation to eligibility and how to apply.
Prospective applicants must complete the application form and send it together with the required documents to the office of the IDB Governor in his/her own IDB member country, and not directly to the IDB Headquarters in Jeddah.
The application must reach the relevant IDB Governor’s Office (or its designated office) by December 31 each year, for entry to the University of Birmingham in September the following year.
Islamic Development Bank
P.O. Box 5925, Jeddah 21432, Saudi Arabia
Tel: (966-2) 646-6833 / 636-1400; Fax: 646-6887 / 636-6871