The Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS) is pleased to invite applications for the Iso Lomso Fellowship Programme. The award is exclusively open to early career researchers from African countries. They must have obtained a doctoral degree within the preceding eight years and who hold an academic position at a university or research institution anywhere in Africa. A range of benefits will be given to the winning fellows.
Iso Lomso Fellowships provide an exceptional early career opportunity for Africa’s brightest minds in academia. Iso Lomso means ‘the eye of tomorrow’ in isiXhosa: seeing towards the future, laying the foundations for tomorrow.
The winning fellows may expect to receive a range of benefits as follow:
- an economy return flight;
- comfortable accommodation within walking distance from the institute;
- individual offices equipped with a PC, telephone and printer;
- a monthly stipend for daily living costs;
- access to the Stellenbosch University library (including electronic resources) and a fast internet connection;
- participation in the regular STIAS fellows programme, including daily lunch, weekly fellows’ seminar, STIAS public lectures and social events;
- a child care subsidy for women fellows accompanied by young children while in residence.
Level and Area of Studies
Research program in any field of studies.
Place of Studies
The research will be taken at Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study (STIAS) in South Africa.
Eligibility and Criteria
- be a national of any African country;
- have an affiliation at a research or higher education institution in an African country, and continue to do so for the foreseeable future;
- have obtained a doctoral degree from any recognised higher education institution (worldwide) after the 1st of January 2009;
- be in a position to commence a first period of residency at STIAS during 2017.
Only African citizens may apply this Iso Lomso Fellowship.
Application form and guideline can be obtained from the link below.
Updated every year.