The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology（MEXT）is glad to offer a number of international scholarships for overseas students who be undertaking undergraduate program at Japanese universities as undergraduate students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program for 2018. There are varied deadline for those scholarships.
The scholarship includes tuition and other fees, allowance of 117,000 yen per month, an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be provided to those undertaking study or research in specially designated regions, and travel costs to and from Japan. Please refer to the official website for full scholarship benefits.
Level and Area of Studies
Undergraduate degree in natural science, social sciences and humanities.
Place of Study
At Universities in Japan.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Age : Applicants, in principle, must have been born between April 2, 1996 and April 1, 2001.
- Academic Background: Applicants must meet one of the following conditions: (1). Must have completed 12 years of school education, or are expected to complete said education by March 2018. (However, for applicants wishing to enroll from the autumn term through direct placement, applicants must be expected to complete the 12 years of school education by August 2018.) (2). Must have completed an educational course at a school equivalent to a high school, or are expected to complete the course by 2018. (However, those desiring direct placement are excluded.) (3). Other than the qualifications in 1 and 2 above, must have qualifications deemed to be suitable for enrollment in a Japanese university at the time of application.
- Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. In addition, in principle, applicants must be willing to carry out their academic studies in Japan in Japanese.
- Health : Applicants must submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician attesting that the applicant has no physical or mental conditions hindering the applicant’s study in Japan.
- Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan between the 1st and 7th of April 2018. If an applicant is to enroll in his/her university from the fall semester through direct placement, he or she must be able to leave for and arrive in Japan by the date specified by the accepting university.
- Visa Requirement: The applicant shall receive a “Student” visa, as stipulated in Appended Table 1(4) of the Immigration Act, and enter Japan with the residence status of “Student.” In regards to the visa, it should, in principle, be issued at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country.
Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the foreign country and give up their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan. Applicant screening will be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country.
All candidates are advised to visit the link below and learn the detail instruction of application procedure at the link below.
The deadline is vary.