Applications for the Jenny Balston Scholarships are now being accepted. Students from all nations are invited to apply. Candidates should be undertaking PhD within the school of History, Classics & Archaeology. Annual stipend and tuition fees will be given to two scholarship winners. To apply, entries must be received by 1 February 2016.
These awards are funded through a bequest from the estate of Miss Janet Mary Balston, MA (1971), to the University of Edinburgh Development Trust. These awards are funded through a bequest from the estate of Miss Janet Mary Balston, MA (1971), to the University of Edinburgh Development Trust.
The Jenny Balston Scholarships cover an annual stipend payable at Research Council rates (as an example, in 2015/16, this was £14,057), and tuition fees at the Home/EU rate will also be paid. Successful overseas applicants remain liable for the difference between the Home/EU and overseas fee rate of tuition fee.
Level and Area of Studies
PhD degree in History, Classics & Archaeology related field.
Place of Study
At the University of Edinburgh, UK
Eligibility and Criteria
- Applicants for the Jenny Balston Scholarships must have submitted a complete application for study in EUCLID by the deadline
- Due to the high level of demand, applicants will normally hold, or currently be on course to achieve, a UK first class honours undergraduate degree (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant field.
This Jenny Balston Scholarships open to Home/EU and overseas students.
Application should be made online. Please note, applicants will be asked to provide the details as follow:
- Personal details;
- Details of any degrees you hold or expect to hold;
- Any relevant details from your employment or training history;
- Details of journals you have had published;
- The topic of your proposed research;
- A research outline of no more than 300 words;
- A personal statement of no more than 300 words;
- Details of any other scholarships or awards you hold or have held.
1 February 2016.