Luca School of Arts/KU Leuven in Belgium is calling applications for a PhD scholarships in the Arts in Animation. Students from all over the world are welcome to apply. All eligible candidates must have a master’s degree in art practice or a master’s degree in another field with a strong artistic portfolio. Expires in one day!
The Narrative Arts research group comprises doctoral and post-doctoral researchers in film, animation, graphic story-telling, performative and sound art practices. Narrative Arts, campus Brussels, is grouped within the larger LUCA research unit Intermedia. Narrative Arts is offering a PhD position for an artist-researcher in animation. The candidate should have an advanced creative practice in animation with an interest in experimental, expanded, reflective-mode, essay, associative, non-linear, conceptual, or critical animation.We encourage interdisciplinary and intermedial projects that integrate knowledge and perspectives from different research domains and activities. We are especially interested in projects that engage with the recuperation or examination of marginalized and contested histories, narratives and archives.The candidate will develop an integrated project that researches through, and reflects upon, animation.
We offer a four-year doctoral scholarship at KU Leuven starting in October 2019. The initial contract covers 1 year. After positive evaluation, this can be extended with 1 year and subsequently with 2 years. The successful candidate will conduct doctoral research in the arts under the supervision of professor dr. Wendy Morris at LUCA School of Arts. The candidate will assist with teaching activities at LUCA (max. 120 hours/year) or will offer administrative support to the supervisor, the research group Narrative Arts or the research unit Intermedia (max. 240 hours/year).
Level and Area of Studies
PhD degree in the Arts in Animation.
Place of Study
The study will be taken in Belgium.
Eligibility and Criteria
- You have a master’s degree in art practice or a master’s degree in another field with a strong artistic portfolio
- Your practice has a clear research dimension and relevance for the project
- You are willing to work in team and to play an active role within the research group
- You have the skills to complete a comprehensive, long-term research project within the given time-frame of four years
- You are willing to communicate on your research at conferences, through artistic presentations and through publications
- You have the ambition to become an outstanding researcher and to share your knowledge in the higher arts education sector
- You are willing to apply for additional funding if your artistic practice requires this
Students from all over the world may apply.
20 January 2019.