The Mildred Blaxter postdoctoral fellowship program is now open. Scholars from all nationals are welcome to apply. They must have recently completed a PhD in the field of the sociology of health and illness. Full salary will be given to the winning fellows. The deadline is 31 October and 31 March every year.
The award provides full salary costs for one year (including on-costs but not estate or indirect costs), usually at spine point 30 as appropriate, plus £2,500 for research and/or conference expenses. London weighting will be payable where appropriate.
Level and Area of Studies
Postdoctoral program in the field that related to sociology of heath and illness. This may include social science, healthcare and medical departments.
Place of Study
The study will be taken in UK.
Eligibility and Criteria
Applications will be considered from individuals who have been awarded a PhD in the field of sociology of health and illness by a UK university and who meet the following criteria:
- The PhD must be awarded on the basis of a research thesis; those with a PhD by publication are not eligible to apply.
- The applicant must have been awarded the degree at the point of application.
- The fellowship is intended to support individuals in their first postdoctoral post but the applicant may have up to one year’s active experience from the date of award of their PhD(pro rata for part-time experience) at the time of application.
- Any new research proposed should be in the field of the sociology of health and illness.
- The application must be supported by the head of a department that can provide an appropriate research environment for a postdoctoral fellow working in the field of the sociology of health and illness, and by a mentor who is able to provide appropriate support and encouragement for the fellow.
- The applicant must not have made a previous application for this fellowship.
- Mildred Blaxter Post-Doctoral Fellowships can only be held in a UK university but awards will not be restricted to UK or EU citizens. The fellowship need not be held in the university which awarded the PhD.
- Trustees will not be eligible for awards, but other members of their departments will not be excluded from applying.
There is no nationality restriction.
Please download and the application form at the link below.
Application deadline is 31 October and 31 March every year.