The NASA Postdoctoral Fellowship Program is now open. Both the United States and overseas students are welcome to apply. Only those who have completed PhD requirements are eligible to apply. They will be working on 1 to 3-year assignments with NASA scientists and engineers at NASA centers and institutes to advance NASA’s missions in earth science, heliophysics, planetary science, astrophysics, space bioscience, aeronautics, engineering,human exploration and space operations, astrobiology, and science management.
The NPP provides a generous stipend (with allowances for locality and seniority), support for scientific travel, relocation assistance if eligible, and subsidized health insurance. Appointments are renewable for up to three years.
Level and Area of Studies
Postdoctoral program in Earth science, planetary science, heliophysics, astrophysics, aeronautics and engineering, human exploration and operations, space bioscience, and astrobiology.
Place of Study
The program will be taken in the United States.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Applicants must have completed the requirements for a Ph.D. or an equivalent doctorate degree before beginning the fellowship.
- Applicants must have U.S. citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status, or the Exchange Visitor J-1 Visa (research scholar only) before beginning the fellowship. An H-1B status is not acceptable because the NPP is not an employment program. Applicants are eligible to apply for the NPP while holding the F-1 status. However, if applicants are selected for an appointment, they must change their status to one listed above.
- Since each NPP Fellowship is tied to a specific research opportunity located at a NASA Center or program institute, applicants must relocate to the Center or program institute thatsupports the opportunity to which they were accepted. In the case of virtual Centers such as the NASA Astrobiology Institute, applicants must relocate to the university location of their advisor as listed on the research opportunity. Establishing and maintaining residency at the Center or at the location of the advisor is required to begin the appointment and to remain in the program.
- Applicants must not have held an NPP appointment for five years prior to applying. NPP Fellows are eligible for another award five years after the end of the previous appointment.
- Some NASA Centers may require a security or visitation clearance before you start your appointment. The NPP Center Representative will notify you in advance if a clearance is required.
- Applicants cannot start their NPP appointment until all appointment requirements are met. This includes completing and returning all required forms and documentation to USRA. USRA will not issue an advance stipend check, start to stipend payments, or approve relocation travel until all requirements are met.
There is no nationality restriction.
Application should be made through the online system at the website and application link below.
1 July and 1 November on annual basis.