NLF Scholarship is a scholarship sponsored by NAPABA Law Foundation. Several types of scholarships are available, they are; NLF Scholarships; NLF Presidential Scholarships; UPS/NLF Gold Mountain Scholarships; The Low Family Scholarship; Chris Nakamura Scholarships and LimNexus Scholarship. Deadline, Value and and requirement are vary. Please see the description of each scholarship below for further information.
NLF Presidential Scholarships
- Beginning in 1995, Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc. has provided the Foundation with an annual grant to help it award two NLF Presidential Scholarships at $7,500 each. Recipients are selected each year from all scholarship applicants in consultation with the NAPABA President, who selects awardees who have demonstrated outstanding leadership to serve the APA community.
UPS/NLF Gold Mountain Scholarships
The UPS/NLF Gold Mountain Scholarships are awarded to promising law students dedicated to the Asian Pacific American community who are the first in their family to attend law school. Two scholarships in the amount of $5,000 each are awarded who meet the following requirements:
- First in their immediate family to be currently enrolled in, and in good standing, at an American Bar Association (ABA) or Association of American Law Schools (AALS) accredited law school in the United States.
- Submission of a completed NAPABA Law Foundation Scholarship Application.
- Demonstrated commitment to pro bono and/or public interest legal work
- Demonstrated financial need
- Permanent resident or U.S. citizen
- Commitment to serving the needs of the Asian Pacific American Community
Previous winners of the UPS Gold Mountain Scholarships and immediate family members of UPS employees are ineligible for the UPS Gold Mountain Scholarship.
The Low Family Scholarship
- In recognition of the NAPABA Law Foundation’s 20th Anniversary in 2014, NLF Board Member Ronald Low, one of the original founders of NAPABA, and his wife Wanda Denson-Low, retired Senior Vice President for the Boeing Company and former recipient of the NAPABA 2004 Women’s Leadership Award, have generously donated $50,000 to the NLF to fund this scholarship in perpetuity. One $2,500 scholarship will be awarded annually to a law student who has a history of demonstrated leadership and/or community service to the Asian Pacific American Community.
Chris Nakamura Scholarships
- In 2003, the Foundation named one of these scholarships in memory of Chris Nakamura, a leader of the Asian Pacific American legal community of Arizona. The Chris Nakamura NAPABA Law Foundation Scholar will be awarded $2,500.
- In 2004, the Foundation established the Lim, Ruger & Kim Scholarship. Today, the firm, with offices in Los Angeles and San Francisco, has a fresh new name, “LimNexus,” and celebrates its 30th Anniversary. LimNexus continues its support of the Foundation by offering a $2,500 scholarship.
- Summer 2018 | The 2018 application is available
- Sept. 3, 2018 | The application and supporting paperwork must be received by email no later than 5 p.m. EDT
- Late October/Early November 2018 | NLF Scholars announced
- Nov. 8-11, 2018 | NAPABA Convention, Chicago