The awards are to enable students normally resident in the UK to undertake a higher degree at an Australian university for up to three years. The Britain-Australia Society administers the Northcote Graduate Scholarships on behalf of the Northcote Trust. Applicants need to ascertain their own eligibility for a graduate programme in Australia. There is no limitation on the field of study.
The benefit is an economy return airfare to Australia, payment of compulsory fees and charges and a subsistence allowance.
Level and Area of Studies
Graduate degree level in any field.
Place of Study
The study will be taken in Australia.
Eligibility and Criteria
All candidates are required to satisfy the requirement of the graduate program at an Australian university.
The United Kingdom citizens are welcome to apply.
To apply, students are required to provide the materials as follow:
- A statement from the applicant on the proposed course (~2 pages).
- Two references from persons able to assess the academic potential and character of the applicant.
- A statement from the host institution in Australia indicating that research can be appropriately pursued there and that the candidate is eligible and has been given provisional acceptance.
- A statement of why the study must be undertaken in Australia.
- A CV
- The flight out must be taken within one year of the award. No funds above those stated will be entertained, nor will the award be granted for more than 3 years. Scholars are responsible for arranging their own health cover, insurance etc.
- A yearly report must be submitted on progress and expenditure. This must be supported by course supervisors. Continuation of the grant depends on satisfactory reports.
- A comprehensive report on completion of the study is also expected.