The Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen is glad to announce the PhD scholarship in host-microbiome interactions focusing on bioinformatic analysis of early life microbiome. This 3-year PhD position is open to any candidate holding MSc degree (or equivalent) in Bioinformatics or similar. An interesting salary will be given to the winning applicants. The closing date of application is 1 May 2017.
A 3-year PhD position is available at the Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. The start date is June 1, 2017 or soon thereafter. This PhD scholarship position will be associated to a large research project on the early life microbiome in humans. The project is part of the Copenhagen Prospective Study of Asthma in Childhood (COPSAC) and aim to characterize the human microbiome in early life and elucidate any correlations with development of disease later in life.
Ministry of Finance and the Danish Federation of Professional Associations (AC). The starting annual salary for candidates with an MSc degree will be a minimum of DKK 309.109 (April 2016 level) plus pension contribution, with the possibility for salary negotiation.
Level and Area of Studies
PhD degree biology and the related field.
Place of Study
At Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen in Denmark.
Eligibility and Criteria
- MSc degree (or equivalent) in Bioinformatics or similar.
- Experience with analysis of large metagenomic data sets (i.e. metagenome analyses, comparative analyses of host-microbiome interactions, sequence assembly).
- Experience with UNIX/LINUX systems. Hereunder, familiarity with programming languages such as Java/C/C++ and script writing such as Perl, Python, or Ruby.
- Fluency in English.
- You will be able to engage in teamwork within the group and our collaborators.
- Experience in applied research projects related to biotechnology
There is no nationality restriction.
The application package must contain the materials as follow:
- A letter of motivation for the application with statement of research interests (max 1 page)
- A curriculum vitae (max 2 pages)
- List of publications (if applicable)
- Copy of Bachelor and Masters Diplomas and transcripts – other relevant certificates, including grades
- A short abstract of the M.Sc. thesis or equivalent
- Contact details of at least two persons for references
1 May 2017.