The Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology (BGHS), University of Bielefeld invites MA graduates from foreign countries to apply start – up scholarship. The scholarship is aimed to fund PhD students who wish to study several limited social studies as listed below. The start – up scholarship recipients may study both in Germany and worldwide. Start – up scholarship will cover travel and living expanses of the awardee. The deadline is updated every year.
The Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology (BGHS) awards up to six four-month start-up scholarships to international MA graduates who would like to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science at the BGHS in Germany or worldwide. To apply the positions, candidates must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in sociology, history, political science, social anthropology or gender studies, especially for women.
The winning students will receive a stipend of 1,200 euros per month and travel costs.
Level and Area of Studies
Doctoral program in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science.
Place of Study
Germany or worldwide
Eligibility and Criteria
Before applying this scholarship, please learn carefully the following requirements of the start – up scholarship:
- Applicants should hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in sociology, history, political science, social anthropology or gender studies; applications from related disciplines are welcome.
- We strongly encourage women to apply. Graduates from abroad who wish to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology or political science may apply for a start-up scholarship.
- We welcome applications from pre-doctoral researchers.
- Applicants should speak either German or English fluently. Neither German nationals nor foreigners with a tertiary education from a German university may apply (Bildungsinländer/innen).
International students may apply this scholarship.
To apply this scholarship, applicants must access the application portal and submit all of the following documents:
- Covering letter (400 words max.)
- Curriculum Vitae (1,000 words max.)
- Summary of your MA thesis (600 words max.)
- Project description (800 words max.)
- Letter of recommendation from your supervisor/advisor at your university (If preferred, your supervisor/advisor can send the letter directly to the BGHS: email@example.com)
- University and college transcripts (Master’s certificate or a statement from your examination office that you have successfully completed your Master’s studies. All your grades, including the grade for your Master’s thesis, must be displayed in this statement.)
Please visit the application portal to obtain further information of the procedure of application process.