Applications for the Thomas H. Horton Jr. Memorial Scholarship are now invited. Those who have research potential are invited to apply. Literature or creative writing majors will be given preference. The winning student will receive benefit of stipend of $4,000. Deadline: The deadline is updated every year.
The Thomas H. Horton, Jr. Memorial Scholarship has been established by Beaufort Academy. The scholarship is open for B.A. freshmen, sophomores, and juniors.
About the Sponsor(s)
Beaufort Academy is an independent coeducational college preparatory school serving age 2 through 12th grades. The goal is to instill in students the intellectual curiosity and strength of character for success in all aspects of their lives.
$4,000 award amount will be given for one student to participate in a summer study- abroad program. The scholarship money may only be used to pay for the approved study program tuition and fees.
Level and Area of Studies
B.A. freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in any subject.
Place of Study
The study will be taken abroad.
Eligibility and Criteria
This Thomas H. Horton Jr. Memorial Scholarship open to those meet the criteria as follow:
- B.A. freshmen, sophomore, and junior students
- An applicant must research potential study-abroad opportunities, select the program he/she wishes to attend, and submit a complete application packet (see below) by the application deadline.
- There are no specific requirements as to the location of the program or its subject matter, but applicants are strongly encouraged to select a program that includes at least one course of study in literature or creative writing.
The United States citizens may apply this scholarship.
To apply, students must provide the materials as follow:
- A cover letter (no more than 2 pages typed, double-spaced) addressed to the Scholarship Committee which touches on each of the following: (1) What summer abroad program you wish to attend: the location, course of study, and significant details, including cost. (2) Why you have chosen the particular program. (3) What you wish to take away from the experience.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from an individual not employed by, not serving on the Board of, and not attending Beaufort Academy.
- One (1) creative writing sample (may include fiction, poetry, or drama) no more than ten (10) pages typed, double-spaced.
Updated every year.