The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) and the Open University of Catalunia (UOC) are delighted to provide a number of master scholarships and tuition fee discount for those studying Conflictology-related studies. Eligible candidates should be UN volunteers or the citizens of one of the least developed countries. Each of the successful applicants will receive a range of benefits as listed below. To apply, the completed application form must be submitted no later than 1 July and 1 December on annual basis.
The International Master`s Degree in Conflictology is a joint-project between the United Nations Institute for Training and Reasearch (UNITAR) and the Open University of Catalunia (UOC). The International Master`s Degree in Conflictology is completely online and it is designed for working professional interested in deepening their knowledge on peace and security issues. They are offering on permanent basis special discounts for United Nations Volunteers and citizens of Least Developed Countries. They are also offering 4 scholarships for each intake as follows:
- Outstanding Peacekeeper Scholarships: These scholarships are available on a very competitive basis for staffs deployed in a United Nations peace operation (including UN Volunteers, seconded staff, AU staff, etc.) and contributing in any capacity: DDR, security, gender, policing, human rights, protection, etc. International staff are not eligible.
- Outstanding Peacebuilder Scholarships: These scholarships are available on a very competitive basis for individuals engaged in peacebuilding at any level (international, regional, national or local). Peacebuilding is here defined broadly to include all professional or voluntary activities that contribute to the establishment of long-lasting peace including conflict management, early warning, peace education, development assistance, humanitarian work, etc.
Two types of tuition fees discounts exist: the UN Volunteer discount and the Least Developed Countries discount. As of 2014, the discount is of US$2,000, putting the tuition fees at US$9,400. Fees may change depending on the exchange rate. Scholarship recipients will benefit from a 50% discount on the full tuition fees, the equivalent of USD 5,700. Recipients may pay the remaining fees (USD 5,700) in up to three installments.
Level and Area of Studies
Master degree in conflictology-related studies.
Place of Study
The study can be taken in Switzerland.
Eligibility and Criteria
The following criteria are used by UNITAR to rank applications and award the Outstanding Peacekeeper Scholarships and Outstanding Peacebuilder Scholarships:
- Proven ability to implement activities related to peace and conflict management in a conflict or post-conflict context;
- Relevance of degree for career advancement and professional performance;Citizenship of a developing country;
- Low financial resources;
- No previous studies at the graduate level;
- Years of relevant professional experience;
- Academic excellence at the high school and undergraduate levels.
To be eligible for the UN Volunteer discount, candidates must currently be UN volunteers and must provide a proof of status in their application. All UNVs are automatically granted the tuition fees discount.
To be eligible for the Least Developed Countries discount, candidates must be citizens from a country included in the list of Least Developed Countries compiled by the United Nations. All candidates from LDCs will automatically be considered for the discount as long as they submit their application on time.
This scholarship open to UN volunteers and citizens of Least Developed Countries.
The application should be made online. Please visit the website and application link below to apply.
1st July for Fall intake and 1st December for Spring intake.