Applications for the ZEF’s Doctoral Scholarship Programme are now being invited. The award is targeted to young scholars from around the world. They must indicate a strong academic performance in their master degree. A range of interesting benefits will be given to the winning candidates. The closing date of application is August 31 every year.
ZEF’s doctoral studies program aims at attracting young scientists from all over the world with an outstanding master’s or equivalent degree in economics, social sciences, sociology, political science, economics, development economics, agricultural and resource economics, agronomy, biology, ecology, forestry, mathematics or earth sciences. The Center for Development Research (ZEF) is an institute of the University of Bonn, Germany. It started its research activities in 1997. ZEF’s researchers aim to find science-based solutions to development-related issues.
- ZEF raises no tuition for the doctoral program. However, applicant’s need approximately 900 Euros per month for a decent living in Germany, so adequate research funds totalling 20,000 Euros must be secured.
- Independent/own funding : ZEF accepts qualified candidates with funds of their own or stipends from third parties, such as governments or international sponsors. If applicant’s plan to study with own funds or they already have a scholarship, they may submit an application at any time.
- Scholarships/stipends: If applicant’s do not have sufficient financial funds of their own or a scholarship already, they have to apply for funds.
Level and Area of Studies
Doctoral degree in the areas of Economics, Ecology and Social Sciences.
Place of Study
The study will be taken in Germany.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Academic qualification: an excellent master or equivalent degree: G.P.A. higher than 3.0 in the American system, or a grade higher than 2.0 in the German system or equivalent.
- Innovative research ideas: Applicant’s application must contain a Graduate Research Statement. The statement should describe a development problem they consider interesting and important; include their main research questions and the proposed methods linked to them; and have literature references. The statement should have a maximum of 4 pages. Their Graduate Research Statement may relate to ZEF’s research areas in a broad sense of may address a topic in another development research area. The selection committee will assess all research statements on the basis of orginality, analytical rigor, and relevance.
- ZEF’s doctoral program is conducted in English. University therefore require the following English language skills: IELTS (band 6) certificate or TOEFL (minimum score: 550 paper based, 213 computer-based, 80 internet-based). Students can attend a two-month German language course prior to the study program.
- There is no age limit for applying to the doctoral program at ZEF. However, their last academic degree should be obtained less than six years ago.
There is no nationality restriction.
Application can be made through the online system at the link below.
August 31 annually.